Skip to main content

Photographs

Again, the photographs. I know you must be tired of hearing of them, especially when you cannot see them, but they are obsessing me. Really no wonder I have been so obsessed with the way I look. I guess anyone would feel that way taking a crash course through their own past and staring endlessly at photographs they haven't unearthed in ten years or more in an attempt to order them chronologically. I note the changes in my look and it sends me on long mental journeys of how I felt at a certain time of my life, or more unpleasantly, how blatantly bad I look at times. And more depressing, though I'm on an upward swing, I do not look my best right now.

I'm going to talk about my appearance now, which is something I try to avoid doing, because I end up deleting these entries anyway. I have a sense of guilt about it, like it's immoral to think too much about the way I look one way or another, because it leads to unhappiness, but really not thinking enough about how I look has made me pretty unhappy as well. What I noticed tonight was that a year ago I looked worse than I ever did in my life. On our wedding day I looked great, but my weight was an issue even then. Even more depressingly, why can't I lose weight? I've been trying for a year and a half now, to no avail, except for a brief period two months ago when I got down to 120 (very briefly, like for a day or two). It makes 115 seem so unearthly far away. But it's absolutely unmistakable: with a few exceptions, my weight has the biggest impact on my look. My hair color, whether or not I'm wearing makeup or what hairstyle I have, makes very little difference.

My weight is the most decisive alterer of my appearance. The second most decisive alterer is whether or not I am tired. It's impossible to tell in any of these pictures if I'm wearing makeup, and whether or not I'm happy doesn't matter either. In almost all of these college pictures I remember deliberately forcing a smile and in one of them, actually starting to cry right after the picture was taken, and I don't look old or overweight there. In the pictures of me when I was unwrapping Johnny, I think I look over thirty, and it's probably because I was doing it at nine a.m. after going to bed at five a.m. I try not to sleep so much anymore because I want to make sure I have full days, but if it's going to age me it's not worth it (Besides, I'm going to start a dream blog, so even my sleep time will be productive. I have my best dreams after I turn off the alarm and sleep for another hour).

I feel really awful for talking about my appearance this way. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter, but I need to lay it out and resolve it so I can move forward and worry about other things. When it comes down to it, what I look like won't really impact how happy I am. I know it's a lot more than that. But how you look impacts the way other people treat you, which definitely impacts how happy you are. It may be trite, but it's true. I don't want to live off other people's compliments, but I want to live feeling worthy of being complimented. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know.

Also, one more thing. There is this picture of me that was taken my freshman year of college. I'm afraid I might have thrown it away in my more religious period because of my scanty dress. I don't know. I remember being 115, possibly 110 lbs. and looking unspeakably grand. I'd do anything to have that picture again for reference.

I don't want to live in my past, but right now, and I know I've said this before, I need to connect my past to my future. That's what this time in my life is about.

I have also been asking myself tough questions about my writing. This morning, the bottom dropped out of my stomach as I posed this question to myself. It would be exactly like if I asked Nathan if he loved me and he had to stop to think about it. I asked myself, "Do I really want to write anymore?" and in the silence in my mind that followed, I felt this intense fear. I clung in my mind to my stories and characters, but stubbornly, the way I am afraid to let go of what is familiar. Maybe I am doing it out of habit now rather than passion. The thought really scares me.

Instead of journaling, I have taken pictures. Part of this is because I just don't feel like sitting down and writing things anymore. It takes a lot of time and hurts my back and bores me(right now I'm just writing to sort out this mess, not really out of a desire). I don't love taking pictures and I'm not good at it, but it takes just a second to take a picture of Henry on our new bedspread, or the flower on my cockscomb that I grew from a seed, and I love going back and looking at those pictures, and printing them out. I don't really like reading my old journal entries because I feel so critical of them, and of myself.

But I don't feel that way about my stories, weirdly. I see them as something strange and beautiful, kind of like those pictures of me in high school and college when I was 110 lbs. I feel disconnected from them, but I feel this intense passion to reconnect with that again, with that body, and those stories. Not because I want to live in the past, but because that's the beginning I want to take to my future. I don't want to erase all that's happened in the past three years. They've made me who I am now. I don't want to have illusions about who I was then, because I was really uptight and unpersonable. Something has happened to me in the past year so that I feel energized and full of passion for life and experiences and people. I love that, but I don't love myself as I wish I would.

It's not that being thinner would necessarily make me happier, but it would be an accomplishment. When I was twelve, I could run a mile without stopping, and still go on, not winded. I remember running once for what felt like forever, and feeling like I could just keep running until I had to eat or sleep, because I had almost limitless energy. I could be that way again. The fact that I ever was gives me so much confidence. I don't want to compare myself to other people, their bodies or talents, but knowing what I did before, I'm completely convinced I can do it again, and that's what gets me out of bed to run or swim in the morning when I don't really care if I'm thin or not. I desire that energy. Combined with this passion that I've developed for life, for places, for people, for knowledge, this living-like-I'm-dyin', I feel like I would be near-unstoppable if I were physically fit, capable of defending myself or others, truly strong.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...