Skip to main content

Winter reading notes

Today I finished reading Mary, by Mary Wollstonecraft. To be honest I found it lacking. The ending was poignant but the whole novel felt somehow incomplete. I understand its significance in terms of the Age of Reason school of thought giving way to the Romantic, in which emotions take prevalence over order. I recall reading that it as well as other works by Wollstonecraft were true propaganda, and this would account for the lack of depth I sensed.

I spent an hour trying to find my place in Shirley, by Charlotte Bronte. I decided to read it with Stanza instead of listening to the Librivox podcast any longer. I felt like I was missing details by listening. I am picking up at The School-feast, since that is the last event I remember, though I feel like I was much further along. I am enjoying Shirley, but it is almost too intense. I end up acting like the heroine (reference my "smothered at the first cry" reading note) if I read it too many days in a row, and I get to feeling a little multiple personalities.

I like to balance it with The Mysteries of Udolpho, which technically I began when I was sixteen, though I re-read the first chapters starting a year ago. I enjoy Ann Radcliffe. Her works are similar to one another, but I appreciate their entertainment, and I also enjoy looking at the structure and unfolding of events which serves to entertain, which is truly art. I also really enjoy the time period. The novel itself is technically historical, but the characters and their values seem to better correspond to the eighteenth century.

I have an exhaustive fiction reading list otherwise.

  • Prisoner of the Iron Tower
  • The Mists of Avalon (re-read)
  • Katherine Sutcliffe re-reads
  • Eclipse
I also found a book I had downloaded today called Gone to Earth by Mary Webb. I can't remember why I downloaded it, but it is interesting, set in rural Wales with what seem like heavy naturalistic overtones, written in 1917. 

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

The Soul of the Rose

There's something dark and nasty about Google. I don't care much for its interfaces. They're not very elegant. I knew it would come to this. All my little accounts end up getting swallowed up in large corporations. Anyway, I have finally been able to share my second chapter of The Soul of the Rose on Fiction Press. It occurred to me I have not mentioned it here yet. At Winter Garden , find The Soul of the Rose Chapter One, The Rose , and Chapter Two, A Journey . I just ordered these from the Victorian Trading Company. I can't wait to wear them with my ensemble for the 1980's party. I want to tell you that I have been yearning for these since high school. I figured it was about time.