Skip to main content

Thoughts of the Markgraf

Delphinia went to her room for the rest of the morning. Her journal lay open on her desk, its gold-lined pages unmarked as she contemplated the autumn-hued courtyard garden.

The questions she wanted to ask, she could never voice. What do you feel for me? What do you mean by this? Passive as water directed by an unseen current she must submit to another guiding force. But the answers to such questions would serve to direct circumstances in her life which could still be changed.

Delphinia bowed her head with confusion over her pink satin-covered book. If Gauvain had no wish to change his present plan to marry Adelia, would she wish to change hers anyway?

No. She didn't want to spend her life alone. She had spent too much of it alone already. Christoph was a high-spirited companion. If she could not offer him the same feelings as she felt for the Markgraf, would it be wrong to marry him? Would he ever feel an absence in her regard? She could not definitively decide.

A knock at the door interrupted her reverie. Delphinia rose to find Christoph at the other side. His carefree looks rankled her, so at odds with her own pained contemplation.

"What are you doing in here alone? We were discussing the possibility of a riding party this morning, but there's no fun in it without Delphinia."

She glanced away uneasily. Christoph had never assisted her onto a horse, only her family's footman. It would be difficult to hide her disability from him.

"May my nurse accompany us? I feel unwell. I may need her assistance."

Christoph's gaze was more penetrating than she had expected. There was a question in it. "But of course, my dear."



Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...