Skip to main content
I finished the poet shirt today to good end! Tomorrow I intend to make a pair of tights for Hennessy from my tan trouser socks, and a green vest. Maybe even the matching hat, too, if I've got a bit of extra time. I picked out some old jewelry I can restring as beads for my angels' clothes.

My angels. Oh, lord, not much time goes by that I'm not thinking of them! Thoughts of them make all my worries passe. Job interview? Bah. Pap smear? Hah. With Bess and Hennessy coming into my life, everything else is sweeter.

I had to make myself release and not touch again the shirt once I finished it. I got that obsessive feeling, like: this should look better! maybe if I...! So I let it go and now I can see that it's just perfect. The best I can do at this point in my dolling. I'm terribly worried it won't fit him. Yesterday I just knew it was a size too small, and now I fear it's a size too big.

Well, I'm proud of myself for making anything. I can see that, with practice, making miniature clothes really isn't so hard-- just requires honing some slightly different sewing skills. And it's definitely instant gratification. 2 minutes to cut out the patterns, 5 minutes to sew them together! And... five hours to correct/seam-rip/otherwise redo all the mistakes I make. No exaggerating.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...