Skip to main content

Birthday

I was getting seriously annoyed with my day-- hungry, bored, Summer Party not open, too much time on the Internet, just generally nothing to make my day happy at all. However, I am now at Summer Party, the sun is shining, and now I'm not feeling so bad at all.

I spent all last evening working on my kimono. I hope sincerely that cutting out the pattern pieces is the hardest part. These were cumbersome and huge, and bending on the floor is so tiring. Tonight I'm going to sew the main pieces together, do as much as I can. I plan to have this done by Friday, and certainly in time for Anime Matsuri, if I choose to wear it.

Sewing again brought back so many wonderful memories from college: crouching on that concrete floor for hours on end sewing medieval gowns. Some aches and pains are so sweet. In fact, some of the fabric I'm using I bought in college. Keeping it around for years really paid off.

I totally love violets right now, and the thought of a violets kimono was what pushed me to make one, even though it will take every spare minute this week. My kimono will be a silken violets print with green gingham obi and golden cord, all things I had at home, even the interfacing, and it all goes perfectly together.

My birthday was wonderful, and these are only some of the features:
1. Birthday weekend with my family
2. Co-workers took me out for Indian food
3. Bonsai from a friend
4. Japanese tea table and tea set from Nathan
5. Meals, Thai House; Little Katana; Pho 95
6. I drank a whole glass of absinthe, wonderful time with friends
7. Nathan is just the best.

If I can meet my advancing years with this much enthusiasm, I have a lot to look forward to.

I miss some things about the past so much, but the best things were the things I made myself. That's what this summer is about for me, taking back the beauty of past memories and combining it with abilities I didn't have then.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...