Skip to main content

The war

The Romantic and scientific are so much both with me. No wonder my mind is a confused muddle. It seems the two can never stand together-- well, then, I am a walking war, and for the most part it does seem this way.

Like Shelley I am inspired by singular and absurd passions and seemingly doomed to a life of antisocial quasi-dissatisfaction, but there is this reasonable side I cannot totally deny, and to which I more and more cling, believing it will be my salvation, my claim to sanity and my vehicle to output the creative works that my very lifestyle seems aimed to discourage.

Do I feel I have no control over my life? It is absurd to say, so I never say it, the lowest, weakest complaint that well-educated, I have been put on the conveyor belt of life and altered at the appropriate stations, to output for a company, for capitalism and for the overall good of our country. What a weak, complaining thing to say when I am a free woman of strong constitution. Yet though I am creative I cannot think of another way to adequately support myself.

Thus comes this scientific side, this love of order, schedule and routine, this unremitting demand for perfection in all of my acts, that I believe will be the very tool to develop my humanities. How else will I ever write a novel, study literature properly, or find time to develop my creative world? The floor must be vacuumed. There's dishes in the sink. These are dangers to my time which can be easily eliminated with order and method and, if conducted at the proper time, may make me feel even more creative when the work is done.

Order and method. Benjamin Franklin and Percy Bysshe Shelley both in me. And for myself, good at many things, perhaps great at nothing. I never know if I should fight or concede to this analysis.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...