Skip to main content

The real world

Again I am plagued with that feeling that I am not doing right. I worked out my weekly schedule hoping to allot time for all things I want to do, but I can see that there is still more to work out. There are some things I feel closer to eliminating from my life completely. When I cast my mind back to years before I can see that I was held in place by a routine and driven by a goal, and that somehow that work was happier than what I do now. I have never completely confronted the fact that I felt bereft on entering so unceremoniously "the real world." When I consider my strange behavior after college graduation it makes even more sense. I stayed up till 3 and 4 in the morning shopping on the Internet. I think I did not want to face the uncertainty. And now, I tend to do the same thing when I am confronted with uncertainty.

By all means, let me confront the uncertainty. Let me empty my closet of so many meaningless things now. Let me undo this tangle of things and uncertainty and wind my way back toward my point of origin. Let me remember. Let me be free. I am so afraid of facing unstructured time.

I feel like I came into the world somewhat overprepared. I can write good thesis papers, to what end? This world is so different. There is not the drive toward an end in a job the way there is in school. I think that's what it is for me. I think that's what I haven't gotten over. One day feels so much like the next. They flow together, and I find it frightening.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...