Skip to main content

Story notes

Today was my first day of vigilantly trying to keep my weekly schedule. Mon and Tues are writing, Wed is sewing, Thurs is Internet. It looks like weekends might be erhu, since my interest in playing is increasing.

Today—when I thought of the fact that I was going to write after work, I was filled with relief and happiness. This morning I woke with the dreadful feeling again. I wondered for the first time if that feeling arises because my writing is what I am supposed to do, and something deep within me knows that, and makes me miserable till I write. Because I definitely do not have that feeling when I write daily.

Today, I did not write. I edited the first twenty pages of Red Rose. After I am finished working on my stories every time, I feel like they are good. My post-apocalyptic stories, at least. I also got the idea for a new kind of romance. A post-apocalyptic like one. Setting romances in rustic scenes, like Amarillo, Route 66, Illinois, Kansas. Something deconstructed, mysterious, wandering, restless. They would be normal paperback romances. I don’t know why I cling to writing those, but I do. I feel like when I read the romances from a century ago, or three centuries ago, I feel the beat of those times in that romance just like I do in literary work. It is the same. Somehow I feel like that is what I should write, too. The romances, not the literary work. Maybe it is because I have an increasingly technical mind, I appreciate the formula, I want to refine it and fulfill it, rather than go out and make something totally unstructured.

My problem much of the time is that I can’t put an identity to my body of work. It has shifted in the past few years. It is not really like science fiction or fantasy I have read, but the emphasis is not on the romance, it is more a a gothic emphasis, discovery of past secrets.

Anyway, I feel more confident about Cambriel and Red Rose. Red Rose has a lot of revelance right now—it’s actually what is hot. It’s vampires and the Snow White fairy tale. That is an idea that could really sell. Cambriel unfortunately is so short now. I also sense as I am reading my writing that my prose is actually somewhat trite and uncomplicated. I want to take a closer look at that. I will leave things that require study for later and do what I know to do now. Right now I am editing for continuity and glaring errors, eliminating my overstatement, which I tend to do a lot. Cambriel is more interesting than Red Rose, but Red Rose is more intelligent. Cambriel, more romance and Red Rose, more science fiction/horror. The only thing I would really improve with Red Rose is the intelligence of the prose. With Cambriel, I sense I really need to bolster the story and give it a bigger identity. It’s a vagabond journey of sorts, not in keeping with the original Sleeping Beauty mythology. That bothers me, because I would like to see a parallel. Red Rose has an obvious Snow White mythology and the third book that I will write in November, The Empty City, has an obvious Beauty and the Beast mythology. Also, I don’t like the title Cambriel. It gets under my skin. I don’t know if I even like that for a last name. Maybe Cambria would be better. That reminds me of Percy Bysshe Shelley—not that he isn’t referenced plenty in the story already.

I thought of titling it The Awakening. I wonder how that would go. Too simple? I don’t know.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...