Skip to main content

On Jane

I haven't done a Jane update in a while. I keep itching to but I feel like I have to step back and tell you the whole thing. These half-truths corrode me.

First of all, I made the big mistake of telling my therapist about Jane. When you put something like that into words, you lose it. You not only lose it but throw it down onto concrete and jump on it several times when you tell this to someone who does not get it at all.

There is an art to being a therapist, surely, but there is also got to be an art to going to a therapist and seeking healing without misrepresenting the deep and important concepts within and feeling all unclean afterward.

Despite the disappointment I had over telling him about Jane and him not getting it and putting me cringing in my seat for forty five minutes over his total ignorance of women's studies, Jane will not be put down.

Jane holds up to this, and still needs to be discussed.

So that was one thing I needed to tell you.

The other thing is that I am doing this because I am inspired by other journals. Some people make a character or an alter-ego and post artfully in this fashion. I am sort of doing the inverse, because I am showing all the wires and cables, and you're seeing me crouching in front of the machine, connecting this one to that one, to see what works. This is all the unpleasant stuff that does not make for an Artful Blog. The way other people do it, is to make the character, then the blog. That is the way it is supposed to be done.

I can't do things the right way. I am wrong in the head, unfortunately. For me it is about the journey, and explaining Jane is the activity, defining Jane is the ongoing challenge. The reason I am doing it is because somehow I have a lot to say about this, and it seems to be the right thing for me to do.

Jane has come to me as a character to be expressed, like other characters in the past. Almost all of the time my medium of expression is my stories. Occasionally it may be poetry or photography, and even a couple of times it was my needlework. I know when I have found the right tool of expression when I look at what I have made and it and my character are the same.

However I express Jane through aspects of my life and through my appearance and even words that I say. It may seem that I am scripted and false, but when I express Jane, I experience the fulfillment as I do when writing on a character, and it seems right.

I guess what I have realized is that my need to express Jane comes as a different, more experimental way of being a writer and creator than forging an identity for myself, which is what I was discussing with my therapist.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

The Soul of the Rose

There's something dark and nasty about Google. I don't care much for its interfaces. They're not very elegant. I knew it would come to this. All my little accounts end up getting swallowed up in large corporations. Anyway, I have finally been able to share my second chapter of The Soul of the Rose on Fiction Press. It occurred to me I have not mentioned it here yet. At Winter Garden , find The Soul of the Rose Chapter One, The Rose , and Chapter Two, A Journey . I just ordered these from the Victorian Trading Company. I can't wait to wear them with my ensemble for the 1980's party. I want to tell you that I have been yearning for these since high school. I figured it was about time.