Skip to main content

The ball of the beasts

Inspired by the book I am reading I decided to do my own Labyrinth ball plagiarism-- who better to do the Goblin King than my own Shelley? I like my vision very much-- but the pacing fell through somewhere along the way.

This story is filled with fantastical visions interspersed with scenes mundane in the extreme. I am satisfied with it. At 5:30 in the morning I can't ask for more than that. It's hard to believe that by the end of this month Cambriel will be complete.

It is a pleasure like no other. My day is guaranteed to be meaningful because I have to write, even if it takes all of my self-discipline. However, I am ready to have my life back. I am thinking of scheduling a couple days in December for me. I miss River Legacy and taking photographs. I also desperately wish I could learn the erhu. A couple intense days of studying it, without subjecting others to the horrifying sounds it produces in practice, is just what I need.

I was afraid I would not be able to make a sound on it. How wrong I was-- the slightest bowing sounds like an animal in pain. Putting my strength in it, it deepens into a wail of agony. Surely the violin isn't this awful.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

The Soul of the Rose

There's something dark and nasty about Google. I don't care much for its interfaces. They're not very elegant. I knew it would come to this. All my little accounts end up getting swallowed up in large corporations. Anyway, I have finally been able to share my second chapter of The Soul of the Rose on Fiction Press. It occurred to me I have not mentioned it here yet. At Winter Garden , find The Soul of the Rose Chapter One, The Rose , and Chapter Two, A Journey . I just ordered these from the Victorian Trading Company. I can't wait to wear them with my ensemble for the 1980's party. I want to tell you that I have been yearning for these since high school. I figured it was about time.