Skip to main content

The Last Unicorn

Everything I need to know I learned from The Last Unicorn...

- I want to be a true magician, make real magic.

- Now that I'm a woman, everything is strange, everything has changed.

- I once knew myself, my purpose, but now I have forgotten who I am, and I am lonely, and afraid.

- Even though I am one, and small, I can drive the red bull into the sea.

Sorry this is not meaningful for anyone who isn't inside my head. I was listening to my Last Unicorn soundtrack on the way to work, and I still can't figure out exactly why it is the most important movie I have ever seen, and book I have ever read. I know for certain that something in the story calls to me, far beyond the characters and the fantasy setting, it speaks to me about who I really am. On the Internet this book was big for a while: Are you a unicorn? I wish I had the site, I would love to show it. Well, this site was built around the hypothesis that unicorns still exist in the world as humans. Some of us are unicorns. If we recognize ourselves in some of the qualifications then we are unicorns. This stuck with me not only because I met all the criteria (that's right, I am a unicorn) but because it was such an interesting idea. I hate to steal someone else's idea... I've already read stories about people who realize they're unicorns, but what does that really mean?

The Lady Amalthea (who has profoundly influenced almost every heroine I've created) isn't who she appears to be. No one sees her for who she really is except the king. It's terrifying but also wonderful. She doesn't remember who she is anymore. This evokes emotion in me because it reminds me of who I am, who I once was, and the discrepancy. Sometimes I hear music (Like Last Unicorn or Neverending Story) and I remember the wonder I once felt, the innocence I once possessed, then I compare the fantastic imagination I once had with the person I am now and I shudder. I can't really remember who I am anymore.

That idea calls to me and calls to me. It plays over and over in my head like a song. I have written a whole novel about a woman who couldn't remember who she once was in a past life, and have almost finished a novel about a woman who has had amnesia blocking her memories as a child. It's a theme that really touches me.

I started thinking of the books I think are truly the best ever written which would be -- A Wrinkle in Time, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, The Last Unicorn, The Neverending Story, then there are my favorite fantasy movies Legend and Labyrinth and all of these have in common the quest. The protagonists discover courage. There is something in them that touches me over and over. Fantasia, the Goblin King, the Labyrinth, the quest, the Bog of Eternal Stench, the Swamp of Sadness, the rock-biter and that luck-dragon and damn but that luck-dragon has always made me feel so emotional and if only I could really pinpoint why.

That is exactly what I want to write about. People can say what they like about fantasy and romance but it gets you through life, and that isn't because fantasy is an escape it's because within the story you learn a truth. You learn about courage and coming-of-age. These stories have stayed with me and tapped qualities within me that have made me a better person. These stories make the world a better place.

This is what I want to write. I am done with darkness and am searching for light. I have almost forgotten my dark vampire Oona and the dark post-apocalyptic underworld.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...