Skip to main content

Blanche, a re-telling of Snow White

I began this story after reading a collection of short stories by Angela Carter. “Snow White” has always been a favorite tale of mine and I have placed this re-telling in nineteenth-century rural Louisiana. Near Vacherie, Louisiana, there are not only swamps but also old beautiful plantations. Some of them are restored but others are abandoned and ruined. The places I have seen captured my imagination and I combined them with my impression of Snow White as an object of envy and lust. My heroine Blanche is a hard-working girl who longs to be rich and to live in New Orleans, where her father was born. She is threatened constantly by the attention of the rustics who live around her. Her stepmother beats her when she finds Blanche in Jean-Jacques’ arms.

When Blanche runs away from home she is beguiled by Philipe de la Roche, who persuades her to live in New Orleans in a fancy house with seven women. Blanche does not realize that the women are prostitutes. The farmer Jean-Jacques, who loves Blanche, finds her before she is raped by a drunk man. Only Blanche’s stepmother Muriel threatens their happiness with a powerful spell. Blanche must belong to her or will forfeit her life.


I worked on "Blanche" until far into the wee hours of this morning and now am looking at it wondering what I was thinking. I am also wondering what I was thinking by spending so much time on my website and it still looks awful! I must not know how to program anymore. That's an understatement considering I don't touch HTML anymore. I am all about WYSIWYG editors and I am even now using Geocities' goofy PageBuilder which is good in some ways but severely deficient in others.

Anyway "Blanche" wa something I wrote when I was in college. I became interested in Angela Carter after my writing professor pointed out some similarities between my writing and hers. To be honest her "Snow-child" was an inadequate telling of Snow White in my opinion and I wondered how to give the myth new life. Her main interpretation of the story stayed with me, however, placing Snow White as an object of lust and envy. My "Blanche" is a Cajun girl living in a swamp shack with her stepmother who does voodoo. Several men court Blanche, five, not seven. I have not finished the story but sure did a lot last night till 3 a.m.! and am now wondering why I did.

"Blanche, " like "Cymbeline" is relegated as a "web site story" because even if I could publish it I'm not sure I would want to because it seems awfully weak. At the same time it exhibits the true flavor of my writing unlike "The Shrine" and "The Beekeeper" which both need re-writing badly.

What impressed on me strongly last night was that my web site and writing files have NO organization. I still don't know what to do about them. I don't know whether to make my files HTML or DOC and half of them are one and half are the other.

The sort of writing I'm trying to publish is more clear-cut. I have temporarily abandoned that futuristic to finish "Winter's Light" my pet story from college that has grown to 235 pages. I am also working on "Christine" which is less gothic in nature at least in the traditional sense. Now that I have quit my terrible job I have abandoned all of the weirdo novels I started-- whose excerpts I may have to publish just to impress to you that I had somewhat lost my mind-- in favor of things more publishable. Especially considering that I intend to make a living out of this.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in