Skip to main content

Engel von Nacht

This is so embarrassing: I wrote it when I was sixteen. I don't imagine it would be of entertainment to anyone but myself. The prelude is a poem I wrote myself, too, unfortunately.


Ah, fickle love!
You cannot decide, can you?!
Can you?!
Thrust me aside and look upon me no more
Or kiss me again


Even through the near-impermeable walls the storm raged, and as I leaned in an arcade in relief I felt the shudder of thunder. I shivered, and it was then that I realized the cloak I wore was warm, heated with a touch alien to my own, and I shuddered again, in horror, and wrenched it from my shoulders, holding it gingerly in one hand.

The walls which surrounded me were unfamiliar, hazy, and seemed even more foreign still as steam rose from an arched, open window and filled the room with curling threads of vapor. There was silence but for the steady roar out of doors.

I was not aware that I was in near-darkness until a sudden, alarming orange flame shot up from the wall opposite me. My breath lodged in my throat until I realized I was looking at a vast marble fireplace, thick with dust and web.

As my fascinated eyes stared the flame enlarged and separated, and the room was suddenly filled with a strange, warm glow.

How? I asked myself, but only for a moment, for I was shocked once more at the whisper which I might have heard.

Could have heard.

If only the rain would not pound so loudly...

The self-originated fire crackled merrily and invited me to kneel before it, and I closed my eyes in relief as the warmth permeated my damp, shivering body.

"Listen to me listen to me..."

I looked around and rose, the doctor's cloak slipping through my fingers. My heartbeat was audible.

"Listen to me listen to me listen to me..."

Was I hearing a voice? I blinked, and looked around again. The vapor seemed to cover the floor, and was beginning to reach my feet. I watched it until it curled around my ankles.

"Eloise..."

"Who's there?" I cried loudly, and my own voice was childlike, thin.

The flames crackled before my eyes in a mesmerizing glow. Were they coming closer to me, or I to them?

Then I was aware of the stone beneath me, and I was seated before the fire again.

"Eloise..."

Yes, it was the fire. I was certain of it. It spoke to me in a rich, dark voice.

"Yes; I'm listening."

"Eloise...you are the chosen and the cursed. Marry, and bear children, and you will carry on a legacy of evil and madness."

"What nonsense is this?" I scoffed at the flames.

A sharp crack, like an impatient throat clearing itself. "Your dreams are to fall in love and be wed, are they not?"

"Yes; what business is it of yours?"

"You are mad, Eloise."

"I am entirely coherent."

"Your children will be mad as well, Eloise. Countless generations will suffer from your afflictions if you carry out your selfish plans."

"My plans are normal," I said, confused and disappointed and a little angry. "I am a woman, or will be one day, and I deserve to be able to have children! And, anyway, I don't know why you are concerned. I shall never fall in love here, after all. My dreams will probably never come true, but I refuse to surrender my pleasant wishes."

Was the glow lessening? Was the fire dying?

"Stay away from the beds of men."

I frowned. "What?"

The fire was dying, and I was distressed.

"You shan't understand it now. Just remember my words; heed my warning. Your virginity is the future's salvation."

My eyes widened considerably. "Why...what a dramatic and strange thing to say! My maidenhood is not your concern, and your statement reeks of histronics!"

I was on my feet, and I was glaring angrily into a cold, empty fireplace. Feeling a little dizzy, I staggered backward and gingerly touched my forehead. The mist which had poured so freely from the windowsill had vanished, and a faint but steady rain fell upon Otranto.

Unconsciously I drew the doctor's cloak about me, a frightened feeling stirring within me. I had not liked the fire's words. Was there something the matter with me? Without warning, I suddenly felt trapped in a chasm of uncertainty.

I did not know what was real anymore; I was wandering through the castle's halls, and I saw smokelike images rise around me, beckon to me, and for the first time I was frightened of them, for I did not know what they were, who they were. Or if they were truly there.

Drawing back from the translucent white hands I hurried through the passages, tears of distress coming to my eyes. I continued on, giving in to the icy tears which clung to my lashes and cheeks, and biting my lip to keep from sobbing aloud.

God, I was so afraid. I did not know what was the matter with me.

And then there was Isabel, looking out of a window into the bleak, wet air. Relief filled me as I halted in the doorway, and I watched her.

I made no sound, but nevertheless, without warning she turned to me, and her relief echoed mine.

"Eloise," she chided in a breaking voice. "Dear, I did not know what had happened to you. I..."

I rushed into Isabel's familiar arms and a sob escaped my throat. "Help me, I whispered into her shoulder, scented with lavender. "I need to know what is real."



Isabel allowed me to remove my shoes in order to pace the deliciously cool, wet grass. I lingered behind her as she steadily trod to the ruined cathedral, not once looking back to make sure I followed. She knew I would not run away this time.

The sun looked sleepy as he moved from the cover of the last of the green-grey clouds. The light he bestowed was gentle and hesitant.

The closer we came to the cathedral the more my heart began to pound. Isabel seemed so certain of herself, ahead. She knew precisely where she was going. How well did she know my sanctuary?

I plucked idly at my freshly-washed gown, a mournful black silk, but relieved with lace at the elbows. I looked ahead again, and saw that we were coming closer to a garden beside the church, a garden of tombs. I was fascinated and frightened, and I stopped at the gate, clutching onto the damp iron balustrade in desperation.

Immediately Isabel turned around. "Come here." It was not softened with a plea, or hardened with a telling edge, but a single, collected statement.

I obeyed her, though inwardly I recoiled.

The graves were covered in a tangled mass of weeds and wildflowers, and the stones were covered in ivy; they were crumbling. Isabel made her way through the cemetery, looking around, halting before a pair of graves at the far edge, motioning for me to join her.

I felt faint; I knew I was going to see something I did not wish to. My own voice mocked me with my urgent question, "What is real?"

Perhaps I said it aloud, because Isabel said slowly and softly, "This is real."

And I moved beside Isabel and I saw the gravestones, framed in masses of ivy and morning glory.

The one nearest to me said "Horatio L'Agassi; birth unknown; death November 15, 1584."

The other read, merely, "Beth Dela Mer."

Oh, I had seen the graves before. I had seen them long ago, long before I even knew what death was. I had read the names and I had spoken aloud, spoken to my unseen neighbors in earnest. And I had brought them flowers.

And I had created my friends, Horatio and Beth, from the depths of my mind.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in