Skip to main content

Knowledge resources

As I seek improvement in my web writing, I am gathering all information possible. I have found a great site that speaks to every aspect of electronic writing that interests me. I have been perusing it this morning and intend to absorb it completely.

Ironically I find the design of the site extremely flawed-- information overload. I think it's a bad idea to put so many links and other sources on each page. I much prefer a clean, uncluttered style conducive to the absorption of information-- like Winter Light, hee hee.

Lately I have been cataloguing the web for myself. There are many mega-sites that try to catalog the web, but there are so many broken links.

The most fascinating one I have found so far is Voice of the Shuttle. I have already discovered dozens of valuable resources there. I'm making my own library of links, specifically interactive fiction links for The Summerhouse as I continue its development.

I have felt a lull in creativity for The Summerhouse lately. It's hard to hold all those rooms in my head when I have so many other things crowded up there, too. I just haven't had the right concentration/energy/time ratio to accomplish any of my "true" work lately. I am hitting a sudden and steep incline. I have recently found how much I truly have to do to improve myself, and the climb is daunting.

It was snowing this morning on the way to work. It was forbiddingly cold. I was grateful for the swirly atmosphere, which went well with Amarantine.

We have a few activities planned for this weekend-- I am very much looking forward to them. I need some enrichment, and I need something to take pictures of!

They have been my trophies lately, my souvenirs. Because I have taken so many pictures in the past four years, I remember those years better-- weekends, short events that would have faded to obscurity without the media. I can only imagine how much it will mean to me when I am much older.

When I got my 486 with a sound card, I played extensively with the voice recorder. What wouldn't I give to have those files now? My fourteen-year-old self would seem so much more alive to me.

I am fascinated with the idea of cyborgs as well-- being one with one's computer. For one thing, I do not want to be physically attached to my computer, and new technology is making that feasible. I read books on my Treo, I take pictures, record voice posts. All these will be sent to my computer however, and then some of it to the Internet. Even my needlework is connected. Sometimes I feel inspired to complete another row just for the picture I can take of it, perhaps to share with online groups. This does not seem wrong. I feel that I am connected to my computer all the time by an invisible thread. It's just important that the thread remain invisible. For me, actually being on the computer is not life. That's why I find research so difficult, and that's why I'm doing this link cataloguing. I hope to make the best material into documents for my Treo.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in