Skip to main content

Fatimah's Pride, a fragment

Rewritten in 2004 from my original manuscript, A Strange Land.

Chapter One

Fatimah schooled herself from tears and pulled herself up to the dignity befitting her station. She stared at the oppressing crowd with a sense of triumph glowing in her eyes. Her fisted hand trembled as though it held a lightning bolt.

In truth Fatimah was conquered and humiliated, but inward pride kept her from resigning her spirit to the auction block. She glanced sideways at the other slaves. Some of their faces were angry, some tear-marked and resigned. It made Fatimah tremble with rage.

She was bought. Marcus Vernaducci, a purchaser who often came to auctions, assessed her briefly, liked her, and bought her for substantial gold from her slaver, who was well-pleased by the patronage of one of the wealthiest plantation owners in the New World.

Some of the other slaves shouted at Fatimah in Arabic as her owner led her down the auction block on a rope.

"You are well-worth the price, beauty," one taunted her.

"Vernaducci will get his money's worth from you."

"If we were back on golden sand, you would be dead for your insults," Fatimah snarled back, unable to help herself from returning their taunts.

But if they were back in Persia, none of them would even know Fatimah's looks. Her face would still be beneath a modest veil, her body in robes.

Her father's betrayer had made a serious mistake, Fatimah reflected. He had sold a slaver a viper, though they both mistook her for a lamb. The man who had murdered her prince father would die by her hand.

She heard other insults once she was pressed into the manor with Vernaducci's new slaves. These insults were in Italian, a language Fatimah scarcely understood, though the underlying growl beneath them was universal communication.

Fatimah looked among the other slaves for an ally. There was strength in numbers. Surely there was another viper among them who would be glad to strike at his oppressor.

The ugly Italian man who held her wrists jerked her, and Fatimah snarled at him. "My legs are not as long as yours, cheese-fattened pig. You have a care with me."

A large old woman at Fatimah's side leaned close to her ear. "He does not know what you say, child. And take care never to speak so in his language. He will beat you or worse." The black woman gave her a censuring look. "You must not look so prideful at your master."

"My master, my father, is in the grave," Fatimah said coolly, though she refrained from spatting further and alienating her tentative ally. "This uncivilized Italian will never master me."

The black woman spoke heavily accented Arabic. Her features were somewhat Egyptian, suggesting she was of mixed blood. Before Fatimah could speak to her further, they were separated.

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...