Skip to main content

Little Snow White

I was a happy child. I loved my father and stepmother. I cherished tales of my mother. My father told me I was her image exactly, matching her snow-white skin, dead-black hair and red lips. When my father died, my stepmother and I grieved. I made myself necessary to her, for it did not seem like she was capable of taking care of herself.

Even as she became dependent on me, she made a slave of me. She loved solitude so much that she dismissed all of the servants, and it fell to me to wait on her. My beautiful gowns turned to rags, and I no longer looked like a princess. I looked like a servant.

My stepmother, the Queen, grew strange, and the rapport once between us was broken as she no longer confided her thoughts to me. Still I loved and served her faithfully, even as I became starved of the familial love which once had enriched my life.

My one solace was the handsome young man I saw when I drew water from the well. He came around the castle on his horse, and I believed he looked for me. I took care not to gaze on him, but I could not hide the radiant happiness I felt when I glimpsed his face.

The Queen became, if possible, even more pale and grave. It seemed like all the light of life had left her face. It had been whispered at Court that she ought to marry again, and that there was a noble that she favored, but she never revealed any of this to me, and I dismissed Court gossip from my mind.

Her sole confidante was her mirror. I heard her crooning to her reflection on more than one occasion. At first I had grown cold with terror, certain that the Queen had lost her sanity, but she bore no other signs of a crazed mind, and eventually I became used to this peculiarity.

One evening as I stepped toward her room I heard her low timbre on the other side of the door. "It is said that little Snow White is the fairest maiden in the land. If this is so, then she must not live. I will tell you what you must do. Take Snow White to the woods and slay her. Bring her heart back to me in this box."

At these words of betrayal I became nearly senseless with fear and grief. I knew I must run away, but I did not know where, or how. The huntsman came to me the next day and told me that he was going deep into the woods to hunt a particular animal. He knew I liked to go with him there, for I could pluck the rarest and most beautiful flowers.

Popular posts from this blog

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.
I realized today how closely Love's Shadow and Winter's Light truly are. LS is really the darker side of the story, and WL the lighter, making the titles so perfect! I realized as I came closer today to ending the monstrous 332-page WL some truth about LS and added a paragraph onto the end of it. I scarcely think that will explain what I realized, but it's at least a start. The thing about my writing is-- whatever wicked thing I want happens. I knew Nichol shouldn't be with Luther because he's a serial killer... even within the confines of my story it can't happen, in that world. Nichol knows it can't, but still she loves him. And so I make the story carry on... and I wondered if perhaps the story was only half-written... and I needed to write a sequel. I think I do . Just as LS is the sequel to a story I wrote long ago-- and in this strange world my characters never quite find what they're looking for, so a sequel is always needed. WL is more