Skip to main content

Winter Light, a new love

"His hair was the color of dead wood. His eyes, like the green heart of a tender leaf. I was still and silent as I looked at him for the first time, and he looked at me."

Not much to build a story around, I'm afraid. I have always wanted to put these two together, and now that I have done it, I don't know what to do with them. Like fighting hard for a hopeless love, eloping together, and having no idea what to do now.

I have a new, powerful spin on Lind's protege Germaine, formerly Hildegarde, described thus,

"She looked back into the parlor, which seemed extremely warm and from the balcony, where candles flickered softly and a fire burned behind the glass hearth doors. A young woman entered the room, all in white, with blue ribbons on her gown and in her hair, signifying the dress of a fashionable ingenue, but her face, though youthful and soft, was like nothing like Lind had seen before.

Her mouth was large and red; her face was dead-white, with heavily lashed eyes of the blue hue Lind likened to the hottest portion of a flame. Her eyes set on her new governess through the glass doors, and she stood still. Lind knew this was her prompt to enter the room.

Swiftly she moved through the doors and closed them behind, not without disturbing the candles with the draft. Bits of snow clung to her brown shawl and in her hair. The student looked her over with interest but not criticism. When she met Lind’s eyes Lind felt the full force of her personality.

“Good morning, Freiherrin Hesse. I am your tutor, Miss Thorn," Lind said.

“Miss Thorn, a pleasure,” she replied in heavy English. There was a wistfulness in her voice that bred an aura of charisma around the student’s voice and expression. Lind had never met a girl with this human awareness; it was either an inherent trait, or born of experiences unknown. Most girls faced their new female teacher with boredom or melancholy, if they faced her at all.

“Likewise, Freiherrin,” Lind said warmly. She gestured to the tea table, where she had laid the books for their lessons.

“Please, Miss Thorn, call me Germaine.”

“Thank you,” Lind said quietly, not looking up from the book she handled. She was constrained by courtesy to addressing this young noblewoman by her title and had hoped for the permission, which of course many a vain, petulant pupil would never give. It would help her to gain authority."

I'm so much less romantic now. I'm using what I see in real people as material, and not because someone told me to. Maybe I'm becoming real.

Lots of people standing still. I just noticed that, that's odd. It must be my new writer's tic.

Popular posts from this blog

Cocoa rose

My first cocoa rose bloomed today. There are many more buds opening up, and soon we will have some cuttings.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in