Skip to main content

Spiral Diner

Saturday night the snow had melted off enough to allow us to venture out. This was our second visit to Spiral Diner, an all-vegan restaurant in Fort Worth.

2010 2010-02-13 002

There was a long wait, and we contented ourselves in the vegan market occupying the diner’s foyer. There were some delightful fragrance oils, and I was very tempted by “Nostalgia,” self-described as redolent of several old, empty perfume bottles. I am captivated by beauty that hurts a little, like nostalgia.

2010 2010-02-13 011

2010 2010-02-13 010

We had already had dinner at home, an enchilada pie I made, and ordered coffee and dessert. We made our selections from the dessert case, which had a tempting Valentine’s Day theme. I fell for the sugar cookie. At a cafe or whatnot, I can never resist the seasonal-themed cookie.

It was delicious, with flavors I had never experienced, likely owing to the fact that it contained neither flour, nor sugar, nor butter. I also theorized that the baker had ascribed to the current school of thought that cooking food above a certain temperature destroys its nutritional value, as the cookie was soft and fragile.

2010 2010-02-13 003

I love to be at home, and I love to be in places where others do not aspire to blend with the general populace. The Spiral Diner is one of those places.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...