Skip to main content

"And I want so much to believe

That I won't disappear in the water.
That I won't always be swimming against the tide."
--Darren Hayes, Taken by the Sea

There is no division between his words and my feelings.

In this life I have met the same people over and over again. I confront the same forces again and again.

When I was a child I had a parakeet who was beautiful and precious to me. She died in an accident that was my fault. Really since then I have never known such an intensity of grief and remorse. I truly, yearned to die when I had killed her. My feelings were so immense that there was almost no way that something couldn't be done about it. A few years later my stepfather brought home another bird, a cockatiel, a male, really, but when I held him and spent time in his presence, I knew he was the same bird that she had been. It was actually her. And I know it just as well now as I did then, years ago.

And whenever I have wanted something, so dearly, it has come, and I know there is no way it can't, when I connect with my purest feelings to that which is the empty void and the beginning.

It is hard for me to be brave. It always has been. It's hard for me to do things that are easy for other people to do. But I like to think, there's something different about me.

When I was in high school, when I was eighteen, I experienced the first flush of my crystallized will. I created myself in an adult image, and I drank from the bowl of courage when I was alone. I listened to songs that gave me courage, over and over, so that I could ask a boy to the prom. I liked him from a place in me that wasn't a place of obsession and sickness. He was a separate place.

I decided the day and the time that would be best, and I asked him. And he said yes. Then the next day, he waited until we were alone, and asked to speak to me, and I grew cold, because I knew. And he took it back, said he couldn't go with me, there was a reason but it's not important to this.

I accepted his words, but the tide of grief that overwhelmed me when I was alone threatened my own mind. My weeping and wailing was maybe more than the normal high school girl's. It wasn't him. It was something I had tried to do. It had taken so much courage, and I had failed.

But actually, it isn't so bad that I lost all of my courage. When I got my first job, my supervisor did not bump me up to the agreed-upon raise implicit at the three-month mark when I became an official employee. I had worked hard for him. It was difficult to please him, and I, I was not like I am now, but I like to think of how I was then. Irascible, stubborn, even hateful.

I will try to find a picture of that girl. She looks so different from me, even, with bobbed hair she dyed black herself in a shower she never even considered cleaning, in her cold apartment that always dripped and was dark because her next-door neighbor seemed to look at her, and she kept the curtains always drawn. She never got to sleep at night because the neighbors above her had incredibly loud sex every night. She was jaded, and jagged.

But despite my irascible nature I was really frightened to confront him. My voice shook, and when I spoke to him tears even fell, but I ignored that person, hoping he would ignore her, too, and listen to my words. I did get the raise, and he said it was the last I would get for this behavior. I had plateaued.

I was brave. Again and again, I have taken out my jewelry box and added up the pennies and nickels in it to fill up my tank of gas. That was what I did once to leave somewhere, and I had the experience of having to go to the cashier with a lot of pennies and nickels, and I knew how it looked, and he asked me did I need "help." And I told him coldly that I didn't.

These are my pennies and nickels that I'm offering the world. I'm trying to buy something in return for them. Maybe something everyone else already has. But I want to pay for it with my own money. That's all I'm trying to say.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their
I realized today how closely Love's Shadow and Winter's Light truly are. LS is really the darker side of the story, and WL the lighter, making the titles so perfect! I realized as I came closer today to ending the monstrous 332-page WL some truth about LS and added a paragraph onto the end of it. I scarcely think that will explain what I realized, but it's at least a start. The thing about my writing is-- whatever wicked thing I want happens. I knew Nichol shouldn't be with Luther because he's a serial killer... even within the confines of my story it can't happen, in that world. Nichol knows it can't, but still she loves him. And so I make the story carry on... and I wondered if perhaps the story was only half-written... and I needed to write a sequel. I think I do . Just as LS is the sequel to a story I wrote long ago-- and in this strange world my characters never quite find what they're looking for, so a sequel is always needed. WL is more