Skip to main content

Red rose

Blanche stood before her small mirror, lacing her corset herself for the first time as best as she could. She could not do it as tightly as Muriel might-- but Muriel was nowhere to be found. Likely she had gone out early that morning for some herb or other. Blanche, freed temporarily from Muriel's scrutiny, did not feel put upon to attend her chores, and with her basket flew from the house and down the road, before her stepmother might return and detain her.

Once out of sight of the old shanty, Blanche relaxed her pace and lingered along the road, near Jean's stretch of farmland. He noticed her instantly: stopped where he worked the land, and waved a tentative greeting. Blanche felt in the moment that more than an expanse of grass parted them: it was her stepmother's ire: even his shyness for her was near-gone.

Languidly Blanche leaned against the gate and watched him continue his work. Despite his obvious pleasure at her unexpected company, he looked almost cheerless: shadows hollowed his blue eyes and pale cheekbones. He looked too as though he didn't eat enough, and he wasn't dressed properly. Would she trade one life of servitude for another? Would she leave Muriel's unkind abode for this sister shanty, trade herb-gathering at daybreak and boiling soap in the yard for cooking for and clothing this lonely man? She might, for her wiles: she could convince him to love her, if he did not already.

What would he offer in return? What would he give, or would it be as with Muriel, devoted servitude for heaps of abuse? What if he had not the courage to reach for her?

As if reading her fervent thoughts, Jean dropped his tools suddenly and went to her, standing opposite her on the fence. "Shall I come for you tomorrow evening?"

As she considered his words, her eyes dropped with sudden disappointment. "No. My stepmother won't allow me to go if she thinks you with me. We must meet on the road."

He glanced aside contemptuously. "Does she think to lock you away from the eyes of men? To support you-- herself a widow-- for the rest of her days?"

"I support her, Mr. Julliard," Blanche said. "And she'll never let me go."

"Don't be so sure of that." Jean watched her with burning eyes as she continued her progress down the road. She could feel his stare, but didn't linger longer lest someone see them together and mention it to her stepmother.

She went to the garden, which bloomed in seemingly perpetual profusion, seemingly waiting for her to appreciate its fertility and abundance.

Sent from Amanda's Treo @-'-,--

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in