Skip to main content

Photographs

Again, the photographs. I know you must be tired of hearing of them, especially when you cannot see them, but they are obsessing me. Really no wonder I have been so obsessed with the way I look. I guess anyone would feel that way taking a crash course through their own past and staring endlessly at photographs they haven't unearthed in ten years or more in an attempt to order them chronologically. I note the changes in my look and it sends me on long mental journeys of how I felt at a certain time of my life, or more unpleasantly, how blatantly bad I look at times. And more depressing, though I'm on an upward swing, I do not look my best right now.

I'm going to talk about my appearance now, which is something I try to avoid doing, because I end up deleting these entries anyway. I have a sense of guilt about it, like it's immoral to think too much about the way I look one way or another, because it leads to unhappiness, but really not thinking enough about how I look has made me pretty unhappy as well. What I noticed tonight was that a year ago I looked worse than I ever did in my life. On our wedding day I looked great, but my weight was an issue even then. Even more depressingly, why can't I lose weight? I've been trying for a year and a half now, to no avail, except for a brief period two months ago when I got down to 120 (very briefly, like for a day or two). It makes 115 seem so unearthly far away. But it's absolutely unmistakable: with a few exceptions, my weight has the biggest impact on my look. My hair color, whether or not I'm wearing makeup or what hairstyle I have, makes very little difference.

My weight is the most decisive alterer of my appearance. The second most decisive alterer is whether or not I am tired. It's impossible to tell in any of these pictures if I'm wearing makeup, and whether or not I'm happy doesn't matter either. In almost all of these college pictures I remember deliberately forcing a smile and in one of them, actually starting to cry right after the picture was taken, and I don't look old or overweight there. In the pictures of me when I was unwrapping Johnny, I think I look over thirty, and it's probably because I was doing it at nine a.m. after going to bed at five a.m. I try not to sleep so much anymore because I want to make sure I have full days, but if it's going to age me it's not worth it (Besides, I'm going to start a dream blog, so even my sleep time will be productive. I have my best dreams after I turn off the alarm and sleep for another hour).

I feel really awful for talking about my appearance this way. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter, but I need to lay it out and resolve it so I can move forward and worry about other things. When it comes down to it, what I look like won't really impact how happy I am. I know it's a lot more than that. But how you look impacts the way other people treat you, which definitely impacts how happy you are. It may be trite, but it's true. I don't want to live off other people's compliments, but I want to live feeling worthy of being complimented. Maybe that's wrong, I don't know.

Also, one more thing. There is this picture of me that was taken my freshman year of college. I'm afraid I might have thrown it away in my more religious period because of my scanty dress. I don't know. I remember being 115, possibly 110 lbs. and looking unspeakably grand. I'd do anything to have that picture again for reference.

I don't want to live in my past, but right now, and I know I've said this before, I need to connect my past to my future. That's what this time in my life is about.

I have also been asking myself tough questions about my writing. This morning, the bottom dropped out of my stomach as I posed this question to myself. It would be exactly like if I asked Nathan if he loved me and he had to stop to think about it. I asked myself, "Do I really want to write anymore?" and in the silence in my mind that followed, I felt this intense fear. I clung in my mind to my stories and characters, but stubbornly, the way I am afraid to let go of what is familiar. Maybe I am doing it out of habit now rather than passion. The thought really scares me.

Instead of journaling, I have taken pictures. Part of this is because I just don't feel like sitting down and writing things anymore. It takes a lot of time and hurts my back and bores me(right now I'm just writing to sort out this mess, not really out of a desire). I don't love taking pictures and I'm not good at it, but it takes just a second to take a picture of Henry on our new bedspread, or the flower on my cockscomb that I grew from a seed, and I love going back and looking at those pictures, and printing them out. I don't really like reading my old journal entries because I feel so critical of them, and of myself.

But I don't feel that way about my stories, weirdly. I see them as something strange and beautiful, kind of like those pictures of me in high school and college when I was 110 lbs. I feel disconnected from them, but I feel this intense passion to reconnect with that again, with that body, and those stories. Not because I want to live in the past, but because that's the beginning I want to take to my future. I don't want to erase all that's happened in the past three years. They've made me who I am now. I don't want to have illusions about who I was then, because I was really uptight and unpersonable. Something has happened to me in the past year so that I feel energized and full of passion for life and experiences and people. I love that, but I don't love myself as I wish I would.

It's not that being thinner would necessarily make me happier, but it would be an accomplishment. When I was twelve, I could run a mile without stopping, and still go on, not winded. I remember running once for what felt like forever, and feeling like I could just keep running until I had to eat or sleep, because I had almost limitless energy. I could be that way again. The fact that I ever was gives me so much confidence. I don't want to compare myself to other people, their bodies or talents, but knowing what I did before, I'm completely convinced I can do it again, and that's what gets me out of bed to run or swim in the morning when I don't really care if I'm thin or not. I desire that energy. Combined with this passion that I've developed for life, for places, for people, for knowledge, this living-like-I'm-dyin', I feel like I would be near-unstoppable if I were physically fit, capable of defending myself or others, truly strong.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in