Skip to main content

Sweet memory

I have been quiet about doing this scrapbook as I examined my feelings and thought many times about coming to write about them but I never knew what I would say.

Now it is that end/beginning time of the week that I always half-look forward to, half-dread, Sunday night, when Nathan has gone to bed and I stay up a few hours later to get back on track for my night schedule. I thought that I would write of my feelings tonight but even now words fail me.

I don't know why my Beta photos affected me as they did. All the others I looked on with a sense of nostalgia or humor, even the very worst. I guess I'm not as good as I thought. When I see those pictures when I am with all the other girls my age, my heart breaks. They were all so pretty, just as every sixteen-year-old should be, and I looked awful. I wore my long, long hair straight back from my forehead, and my glasses were so large they scarcely stayed on my face. I had this baggy shirt and teal cardigan sweater vest over the shirt, and a long tartan wrap skirt all the way to my loafers. In a way I scarcely recognize myself, I guess because I never looked in a mirror then.

It made me feel so insecure! I don't know why. I can't be that different now. All night I've been going over all aspects of my appearance and lamenting how uncool I still am, how even now if I were around a lot of other girls my age, I would probably be so out of style, and moreover since I have no basis for comparison I must be profoundly hopeless of improving myself. I still have no idea how to act or dress, and I'm still not sure if I should.

For the first time today my photos hurt me to look at. There's no getting around my awkwardness. Away and starting over in Arlington I had forgotten, but these pictures bring everything back to me, taunting me, reminding me that if only I were home once more, if only...

I argue round and round with myself. After all, I spend half my life wishing I was there again, shy and ignorant and in control of my life, never having known that loss, too insecure to smile properly at the camera and yet so secure I never looked into a mirror or spent more than a few minutes dressing myself every day. Wasn't it better then? Does my appearance really matter so much?

It gnaws at me, and I think again that I shouldn't even be writing this, or thinking of it, this puritanical nature that tells me these thoughts will never bring me happiness, that true happiness can come only from my meditations and peace, and yet this desire flames ever hotter inside me to be beautiful. Who doesn't want to be?

I am almost done with the scrapbooks. I only bought one but I have pages to fill three, so tomorrow I will buy a red and a white one to complement my black one. Then when I am done with my scrapbooks, I will start on my stories. I will make a different kind of book, sort of a scrapbook/journal of all my stories since I was six years old. I thought since the beginning of this project that by the end of it I would know what I needed to do next and so I do. And when I am doing with my story journal, perhaps I will know what to do after that.

In November I will attempt another novel for NaNoWriMo and this time I will succeed. I am determined to write only and exactly what I wish. My stubborn desire to write "Cambriel" as I did only led to frustration. And I'm convinced when I am done with my story journal, I will be more comfortable with my writing voice again.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in