Skip to main content

Perplexions

Many of Rasputina's songs consist of "This was a girl who lived long ago in [somewhere in America]." Inevitably, I want to go to those places, and find that girl. I feel like it's a common realm of imagination I share with her. She would understand how I see Blanche in the swamp, or Margaret in the pines.

Anyway, I wanted to go to Chicago and St. Louis to find Rusty the Skatemaker. I did. On her new album Perplexions she has a girl (with a jet-pack) exploring the North Pole. I want to find her, too. It doesn't exceed my passion to find Saline the Salt Lake Queen in the Great Salt Lake. That is my favorite story of hers. She surely must have seen the painting "The Magic Circle" by Waterhouse when she wrote it.

What I love about Melora Creager is that she is a singer of America. Her songs capture the very best of America and remind me of the things I love about it, when it is very hard to remember. She is also a singer about women's experiences, but that almost need not be said.

I have a new manga, "Real/Fake Princess." So far, I love it. It looks similar to "Land of Silver Rain," but I never could get into that one. This is the first Chinese manga I've read, and I love the Chinese costume and background. I am now determined to learn everything I can about historical Chinese dress. The best place I can do this is the Evans Library. Their books on costume are incredible. I see a study weekend in my future.

Well, it is hard to keep my spirits up this morning. I am determined not to give in to the negativity that surrounds me. It is so hard. Every resistance I make seems to make me even more vulnerable to another blow. I hate to hear others maligned. I hate to be scrutinized, criticized. I know I exist in a void where nothing I do will have permanence. My efforts at kindness will not stick but will be swept under the carpet.

I have to last. Hopefully I will not be sticking this out much longer.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their
I realized today how closely Love's Shadow and Winter's Light truly are. LS is really the darker side of the story, and WL the lighter, making the titles so perfect! I realized as I came closer today to ending the monstrous 332-page WL some truth about LS and added a paragraph onto the end of it. I scarcely think that will explain what I realized, but it's at least a start. The thing about my writing is-- whatever wicked thing I want happens. I knew Nichol shouldn't be with Luther because he's a serial killer... even within the confines of my story it can't happen, in that world. Nichol knows it can't, but still she loves him. And so I make the story carry on... and I wondered if perhaps the story was only half-written... and I needed to write a sequel. I think I do . Just as LS is the sequel to a story I wrote long ago-- and in this strange world my characters never quite find what they're looking for, so a sequel is always needed. WL is more