Skip to main content

The Vision of Desire, by Margaret Pedler

Not written after 1922, can't find the exact copyright date at this time.

I think one thing this story needed was a good editor. The same kinds of things I find and quickly delete in my own work.

To me, this passage would have been far more effective if the dramatic voice had been toned down:

He dropped into a chair, burying his face in his hands, and the utter despair in his voice tore at Ann's heart. What had happened--what could have happened that Tony should seek to take his own life? Mechanically she stooped to replace the revolver in the opened drawer from which he had evidently taken it. A few loose cartridges still lay there, together with some torn scraps of paper and a blank cheque. Almost unconsciously her glance took in the contents of the drawer. Then suddenly it checked--concentrated. She caught her breath sharply and looked at Tony, a horrified, incredulous question in her eyes. But he was still sitting with his head buried in his hands, silent and motionless.

Very slowly, as though she approached her hand to something nauseous and abhorrent, Ann reached out and withdrew one of the torn sheets of paper and stared at it. It was covered with repeated copyings of a single name--sometimes the whole name, sometimes only one or other of the initial letters to it. And the name which some one was taking such pains to learn to write was that of her godfather, Philip Brabazon... Philip Brabazon... the sheet was covered with it, and some of the signatures were a very fair imitation of the old man's handwriting.

Ann snatched up the blank cheque. It was one that had been torn from Sir Philip's cheque-book. She could see that at a glance--remembered so clearly noticing the same heading on the cheque which he had given her towards her trousseau--the Watchester and Loamshire Bank. She held out to Tony the two pieces of paper--the sheet of scribbled signatures and the blank cheque.

"Tony," she said, her voice cracking a little. "What--what are these?"

The tense, vibrating horror in her tones roused him. He looked up wearily. Then, as he saw what she held, a dull red flush mounted slowly to his face. For a moment he did not speak. When he did, his voice sounded dead--flat and toneless.

"Those," he said, "are attempts on my part to forge my uncle's signature."

There are many moments like this in the story. The characters ask obvious questions or parrot back what someone just said. It makes them seem stupid. I know when I write I don't even notice myself doing it, and I do it a lot, but when I edit, I find those lines and delete them.

I disliked many things about this story, but the lesson I learned is that no matter how much the reader may dislike the characters, situations or even prose style, when the plot drives, the reader will still read. I think this story had a very good plot. The beginning introduces the problem which reaches throughout the whole story, and the problem is solved unexpectedly at the end. I was actually very surprised and pleased by the ending. I didn't think it would be very satisfying. There were many characters and tangled relationships, and they were all tied into the ending.

I had so little sympathy for one of the reaching dilemmas. The character quoted above, Tony, has a terrible gambling addiction which is certainly not solved at the end of the story, unless you consider having a friend pay his enormous debt a solution. Ann risks her love relationship to pay Tony's debt. The unexpected part is that her fiance finds out what she does and proves that he trusts her faithfulness, so if she had not endeavored to help Tony she might not ever have learned this. I mean, this story is not like real life, but if you think they way the story does, you can appreciate the ending.

I really cringed when Tony's debts were paid. The author doesn't mention what happened to him, probably for the best, since she seemed aware that reforming him was far beyond the scope of her novel.

Something else kind of off is that Eliot, Ann's fiance, was hurt by a woman who left him because he was poor. She broke off their engagement and married a rich man. However the perilous situations that Ann gets herself into put her fidelity into question, not her greed, so I don't understand why it touches his nerve so badly. It seems like a stretch, but I guess I don't know. Maybe the author knew someone like that.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in