Skip to main content

The Victorian woman's adventures at the mall

I decided to renew my efforts to shop for pants at the mall. It has been at least a year and a half, possibly two years, since I have been to one, so it was a little of a culture shock, as has been in the past.

My first destination, Express, seemed to have joined the trend of assigning female names to different "fits" thereby eliminating the need to use the word "slim" or imply its opposite. In addition they have increased their sizing such that I am now a size 0, rather than a 4.

I have for years mail-ordered my pants from Victoria's Secret. I am "Kate." The ever-common Christie fit has a bit more "room" as the name suggests the thirty or forty something. What a sad day it will be when I find the "Amanda" fit with a bit more room and know that my day is done.

I wanted to buy some jeans from Abercrombie but could not because I was too deeply embarrassed by the greeting wall mural. I actually flushed with embarrassment and teared a little, which I normally only do when I make a drastic and somewhat public mistake. I have tried to come up with a comment to describe the source of my embarrassment, I cannot. Perhaps my awareness in my maturity that the boy depicted in such dishabile cannot be over twenty.

I was only too happy then to find Aeropostale, which had no posters of any kind anywhere to shock me. I had an awkward moment initially walking in because there were only male associates and I was afraid it was a men's clothing store.

However I soon found jeans with an Ashley fit, which suited me perfectly. In the dressing room I realized I was gritting my teeth and did not know why; I asked myself what could be bothering me and realized Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" was blasting at the top of my head from a speaker; I had not consciously acknowledged the music of choice in the store till then because I was so stressed by all else I have described.

I found myself then in the awkward position of checking out. I was already embarrassed at having been assisted to the dressing room by an outgoing young man in a fitted shirt, and my sensibilities were rifled that I had in fact changed with my feet and whatever fell to them in full view. As I waited for him to come to the register I noticed a kiosk next to me brimming with lime-colored lace thongs. To stand next to such a thing discolored my face further if possible and I wondered how I could ever think of purchasing, or even looking at such articles in the presence of an unknown man.

My transaction went smoothly enough despite his failed attempts to sell me a gift card, a top or something for my husband. I was actually afraid he would mention the underwear at my elbow, certain he would call them "panties" and I would have then died.

I thought of the take-home on all this. Basically I feel that I live in a culture that wants me to give more of myself than I want to give, wants me to be more casual, more sexually liberal or suggestive, more jaded than I want to be, and I sense this tension every day of my life, and that is why I live in "my own" world for the most part. In my world it is okay to wear Victorian blouses, it is okay not to have layered hair, okay to feel too embarrassed to buy a maxi pad or a bra from a man. In my world it is okay to firmly excise all sexual images of men or women, to keep things behind closed doors, to care more about being polite than getting ahead in line.

That has nothing in common with the world around me, but my grip of conviction will not lessen. I am a rock, I am an island.

Popular posts from this blog

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Cocoa rose

My first cocoa rose bloomed today. There are many more buds opening up, and soon we will have some cuttings.

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in