Skip to main content

Notes - The Vampire

The short story I submitted is an excerpt of a larger work. I began it in college and added to it one afternoon when we returned to College Station two years ago. I found in the environment that the story itself came back to me, and at that time I wrote the portion that I submitted to a magazine yesterday.

The protagonist of the story is Nell, whose hair is the color of dead grass, whose eyes liken a dry summer's sky. The story takes place in waning summer. The change in the weather has provoked rain, and Nell works in the garden to prepare the dry soil.

Nell is the oldest of several children. She bears most of the responsibilities of her mother, Catherine, who is bedridden after repeated miscarriages. Not covered in the short story are the family relationships, which suggest Catherine suffers more from depression than physical ailment. She is irascible to Nell, who has a Cinderella resemblance.

When Nell becomes broken-down with chronic abdomen pain her mother and younger sister believe it to be caused by her menstrual cycle. I mean to imply that Nell is destined to carry on her mother's burdens if she remains in this environment. She cannot withstand the demands made on her system by physical labor and by potential fertility. I also recalled the later years of my adolescence which were marked and glaring by this periodic pain I was neither physically nor spiritually equipped to handle.

In parallel to fragility of the female system and the outer world's presumptuous demands upon it I reveal the sole male character of the novel, Stephen Tate, a Southern gentleman temporarily abdicated from his dilapidated plantation home in favor of the prairie's anonymity.

We soon learn that Nell is suffering not from menstrual weakness, but the bite of a vampire, and the vampire is Stephen Tate. Stephen's story is not at all explored in the excerpt, but he is one of three siblings visited with an apparent curse, which the proud family attempts to hide. It is a curse born from the sins of the fathers. The family's wealth, now nonexistent, and subsequent pride was built on the labor of slaves. Now destitute, it appears the family line will die since the three children, Quentin, Stephen and Charlotte, have turned out to be vampires. Quentin, the oldest, is the most feral and engages in repeated brutality even the grandest family name cannot hope to hide. Charlotte has long cherished the notion of becoming a belle, and travels in high circles, trying on great pain to conceal her true nature. Stephen is the weakest, least-fed of the three. The blazing Texas sun drains him to a weakness nearly equal to Nell's own.

Stephen finds in Nell a kindred spirit and Nell for the first time, well, feels special. She is special. She empathizes with Stephen's nature on an elemental level, suffering from weakness and exposure to the sun, while retaining her human nature. Stephen in turn dispels a portion of his pain onto her and is able to go into the light.

I did not get any further than this in the novel, and the short story covers only Nell's initial victimization and her decision to pursue Stephen, though it may mean her death, in favor of being broken-down in her mother's footsteps.

I know it is true only a little bit of what a writer means can be seen in the finished work. Therefore it is necessary to pack a powerful message. I fear "The Vampire" may miss the meaning entirely, and that I may not hope to capture even a portion of the delicate story so difficult to describe, that I feel is worth telling. I believe we all know when we have a story worth telling, that others would appreciate, if only we could tell it well. That is where the burden lies. The stories in me are no different than those in anyone else. I think the deepest of stories told clumsily is worth far more than the shallowest story told eloquently. That doesn't have much to do with "The Vampire;" it's just a thought of mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in