Skip to main content

Sunday at museum

I had a truly wonderful weekend, perfectly balanced between craft, sleeping (24+ hrs...) and going out. Today Nathan and I went to the Dallas Museum of Art. We spent most of our time looking at the featured exhibit of Indian art. Then we sought out our favorites. For me, the European antiques, for him the Asian calligraphy. We did not find too much of the latter, unfortunately. I got a great portrait of both of us peering into a 1600's Netherlands mirror. I was particularly struck with looking at my reflection in very old mirrors. That is something I have always loved. Going around I realized Dutch art might be the next big thing for me. It's clean and simple with a very old presence I find stirring.

We made two stops at the museum cafe for refreshments and coffee. I really liked that it was in the middle of the museum, so that you could retreat for a while when you wanted. Then after the museum we went to Barnes and Noble. The books at the museum gave me the idea to look for travel guides, so I read the entirety of Japan Ai in the cafe while Nathan read some more serious Japan travel guides. I am forming a priority list.

  1. Shopping for Victorian Maiden and Innocent World
  2. Gackt concert
  3. ...

Yesterday I sewed literally all day long. I am embroidering a long skirt for Josette with water lilies. The pattern really captures her simple Korean beauty, and I am hoping to finish it by the end of next week. I am reading a manga "9 Faces of Love" that rejuvenates my love for the impossibly lanky Korean style that of course Josette embodies completely. I love the clothing.

By next weekend I am pretty sure I will have my Victorian Maiden dress in hand. I am so ready to transition into my Victorian Maiden style. So far this has been a totally effortless transaction, and the dress (used) is much cheaper than anything from Victorian Trading Co., including overseas shipping. I don't know if any of the shoes or accessories I have will work with this, but I want to see the colors in person before I try to match anything.

I have felt negative about my writing lately. Not that I think that my writing is bad, but that I don't want to write right now. I feel impatient to experience and to read other work. All week I want to hold the feelings I have right now very close to me. These feelings of love, affirmation, excitement and longing.

Popular posts from this blog

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in