Skip to main content

The summerhouse

They knew a peace and solace in the old summerhouse that was mixed with pain. A cold wind with a bitter note of burning timber filled Delphinia's lungs as she stood in the doorway, watching Oskar's terrible looks.

He was like a restless cat pacing, penned in by his own grief, about to fight, like a cat, with unbending will.

She too had bitter memories in this place. They were so few, so brief, but they consumed all of her. Gauvain would never hold her again. Soon he would belong to someone else, and she had not even the consolation of his love. He viewed her and her love as utterly wrong. Now that she understood the integrity in him she knew he would not spare her another look. This mingled bitterly with the sweet sting of knowledge that she had found, she was convinced, the person she had sought all of her life, someone who had loved her genuinely and unreservedly.

In that moment she knew she would never marry Christoph. She felt equal to the burden of disapproval, loneliness and perhaps even poverty. She saw herself hobbling, hulking in the shadows of a London alley and was not daunted. The only thing she feared now was the ownership of a soulless man who had never wanted for anything, who would soon realize the deep imperfection of his pretty new piece.

"'Her eyes are with her thoughts, and they are far away,'" quoth Oskar softly.

Delphinia was startled. "They are in England," she said.

"You have a serenity about your looks that seems much at odds with the scenes I have witnessed in the past two days."

"Peace comes with decision," she said, "no matter the decision. And what is your interpretation of what you have seen?"

"I have seen that you and my brother are in love, and that he is to marry your friend. Through a system of errors not yet explained to me you arrived in her place, became fond of Gauvain, and now you are to play your original role of organizing the bride."

"Everything you have said is correct, but there may be things you believe that are not correct."

"If you think so, how do you allow me into your presence alone?"

"Because..." Because she knew too much about him to be worried for her virtue, she thought. She sensed that Oskar's ardour lay in the grave forever.

"Because men are not the threat protective mamas and strident fathers would have maidens believe. Sometimes we are the threat."

Oskar laughed. "That is only too terribly true. I lost my poor virtue to a maid like yourself."

"Tell me about her," Delphinia said lightly, but suddenly the lingering wisteria and decay scent closed in on her, stifling her breath. The wind was like a caress of silk across her face.

"She is dead," he said. "My brother separated us, and she died alone of a lingering illness."

"It is Oriente," Delphinia said, because she knew it was what he was implying. "Can you forgive him?"

"How can I forgive someone who repeats the same sin again, who regrets not his wrong? He seeks now to punish himself far worse than I ever could." He looked at Delphinia more closely. "Or perhaps I could punish him still. See how strictly he can hold to his lofty integrity."

Popular posts from this blog

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

Cassandra stood poised at her vanity mirror. Her long hair, which spilled past her waist, was twisted in one hand, and in the other was a pair of jeweled scissors.

As she lifted the scissors to cut, a larger hand wrapped around hers. Cassandra withdrew with a cry. "Kell! I didn't see you come in." He took the scissors away. "I take it you got the job." "I did," she said crisply. "Return my scissors to me." "Not if you intend to cut off your hair. What do you mean by this nonsense?" "I can't have long hair in the laboratory. It might catch fire or something." "Look there." He guided her to the window. Below them lay the scattered remains of a centuries-old city park. The benches were near invisible due to growth, while the pond had extended far beyond its original boundaries. Ducks floated serenely on its surface. "We played as children. Do you remember how you prized your hair?" Cassandra laughed a little drily. "Of course. I insisted all my powers as princess lay in my hair. I was haughty. unworthy of the friendship of you and your sister." ...

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...