Skip to main content

Gothic literature

Yesterday I picked up a couple things again I had stopped reading: The Cenci, The Tale of Terror and The House of the Spirits. Sunday I revised several pages of my book and have felt inspired since to remain in a literary state. I still don't have a title for it, but I am not going to rush that.
I have realized with every book I've written that I will put things down that don't make sense to me, but fall into place later. There was something that Hildegarde (now Germaine) said in the very first draft that I have kept through all of these drafts, and only yesterday I realized what she meant. I felt like that sentence remained because I did respect her enough not to obliterate what she said because I didn't understand. I have found too a difference between imperfections I put in my work, and what the characters do, that doesn't make sense but needs further thought and clarification. Sunday night I started to believe in them again in the old way, and I have believed since.
There are a few things in Red Rose I put down without understanding, and some I still don't understand. It will have to rest for a while, like bread, before I try revising it again. The title was something I didn't understand until the very end, and then I felt proud of it. Red Rose, sort of to be reckoned with Bloody Mary or Bloody Blanche. I liked that very much.
So, I want to tell you, that wherever I'm at in life, and not necessarily making a grand success of anything at the moment, today I believe in unicorns again, I believe in Germaine and Gisele, and that one day I will see the places I've seen and people I've met in my mind. It is not original to me, it's not what I'm making up, it does come from somewhere outside of me, and that is why I feel uneasy when I spend too much time doing things I do make up, like graphic work or crafts.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

The Soul of the Rose

There's something dark and nasty about Google. I don't care much for its interfaces. They're not very elegant. I knew it would come to this. All my little accounts end up getting swallowed up in large corporations. Anyway, I have finally been able to share my second chapter of The Soul of the Rose on Fiction Press. It occurred to me I have not mentioned it here yet. At Winter Garden , find The Soul of the Rose Chapter One, The Rose , and Chapter Two, A Journey . I just ordered these from the Victorian Trading Company. I can't wait to wear them with my ensemble for the 1980's party. I want to tell you that I have been yearning for these since high school. I figured it was about time.