Skip to main content

Transported

I am completely transported by Sarah Brightman's voice. I have been thinking there is not enough of her to go around, that the world will not be able to turn without the beauty that she gives. When she sings I can hear all things in her voice, like I can in a work of great literature or see in a work of art. I can hear beauty and love, pain and darkness, but above all I hear love and compassion. I feel like I would be totally different if I had not had her music for these twelve years.

I think about the concert I last saw of hers. It isn't hard to remember. The beauty, darkness and drama hurt me so deeply, almost like it broke my heart. The woman next to me started crying helplessly during the wordless interim piece with soughing violins and Japanese parasols. (?) It's hard to describe anything of what I saw. It was like a dream that created feelings but was difficult to describe. It still stays lodged in my heart. I wish my art could reach out to others with that kind of love. I wish it so much, you don't know. I feel like today I realized a lot. I don't have time to explain though.

Popular posts from this blog

Snow White and the Prince

I dreamed in darkness, cold and alone. Phantasms shifted around me, frightening me, but I was powerless to escape them or even move, as I was sealed in a casket. I thought of the Queen, my Stepmother, and tears dripped from my eyes as I considered the quasi-poignant moments we had once shared, when we might have been considered to be close, when the Queen had nearly been a mother to me, and the face of love had shone radiantly upon me, before eclipsed again by the storms of Venus. I thought of the huntsman, stung to consider that my only friend had been poised to betray me, to kill me, and again in my mind I felt the horror of his shadow, of waiting while he came behind me, knowing there was no escape for me from a death he would inflict. My heart lifted as images of the Prince entered my mind, his grace atop a white-maned horse, always out of my reach, just beyond the words I longed to speak. If only there had been more time for us to fall in love. He might have saved me from those...

Where does it lie

I look out onto the yellow and brown vegetation beneath my window, at the castle-like buildings far away and wonder where do I lie in all of this? There was a time when I was unfettered. This was a time before I entered the working world, before I was independent. My heart was free as a bird when I was in college. I did not know what happiness I experienced in my creativity because I had never known different. In other aspects of my life I knew pain but my stories, sprung up lately from a gothic mist into an immersing Pre-Raphaelite painting, were a richness and the most beautiful thing I had ever known. That the most beautiful thing I knew to exist happened inside of me made me very happy, even though I didn't know it. Now I know the sun is setting, even though I can't see it, because the bank of brown, twisted trees and shrubs is lit gold, like a reflection from a golden chalice. Slowly, slowly it will fade until everything is a homogenous, uncertain gray. This is the nightma...

The Soul of the Rose

There's something dark and nasty about Google. I don't care much for its interfaces. They're not very elegant. I knew it would come to this. All my little accounts end up getting swallowed up in large corporations. Anyway, I have finally been able to share my second chapter of The Soul of the Rose on Fiction Press. It occurred to me I have not mentioned it here yet. At Winter Garden , find The Soul of the Rose Chapter One, The Rose , and Chapter Two, A Journey . I just ordered these from the Victorian Trading Company. I can't wait to wear them with my ensemble for the 1980's party. I want to tell you that I have been yearning for these since high school. I figured it was about time.