Skip to main content

If you were alive, and here,





We would be in perfect sympathy, perfect understanding. 


It is the tragedy of my life to have missed her sweet presence by mere months. 


If I had come those months ago before the Markgraf had become engaged to Adelia, would he have married me? 


Delphinia ceased her scrawl, laid down her pen and took up her cane, and paced the room. She might have wished to guard her private words from the sights of others, but she was too distracted to think clearly. The open pages lay on her desk as moments later, she pulled her shawl from where it lay at the back of a chair and wound it around her, stepping from the room.

Like an unloved person the natural scene outside had grown starker and crueler at winter's onset. It was impossible to behold the gray, still scene without a shiver. It was pitiless without even one shriveled brown leaf clinging to a branch.

It was tea time, but the sky was already darkening. Lamps were lit in the hallway. Up ahead in the gloom Delphinia could see Gervaise's figure gliding out of sight, and to her gaze it was as comforting as a sun. Gervaise was motherly and practical in all her ministrations. Delphinia guessed she had noticed the shorter days and had adjusted her routine to better dispel the castle's gloom by lighting the lamps early.

She entered the portrait gallery with the reverential silence and care the large room seemed to necessitate. It was as vast as a cathedral and its air of looming solemnity never failed to impress her. It was meant to encompass the grandness of the castle's ancestors, a place to study and remark on long-ago deeds. Delphinia had come to look at the portrait of Oriente.

However the gallery already had a visitor. She recognized immediately Gauvain's looming presence.

Her heart throbbed instantly, painfully, on the recognition. Her first impulse was to flee. She had come to the gallery casually, in her loose day-robes, with a mere shawl about her shoulders.

He stopped her with a glance. He was standing near the portraits of his mother and father, apparently contemplating them. "My lady. Walk with me."

Her breath stilled at the low command. In his eyes was the singular recognition of yesterday. He had avoided her since his return from Baden Baden. But when they were together, this. She loved him, and it was impossible for an intelligent person to decide otherwise than that he had been on the road to love her as well, initially, before he had come to his senses.

Popular posts from this blog

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in