Skip to main content

The unicorn, and the golden bridle

In the morning I was awakened by the sound of a key turning in the lock, and I rose up in bed immediately on the alert.

I expected Shelley to turn away and leave, but my door opened a crack, then wider. He brought a tray of tea and breakfast food to me.

“I thought you would be hungry,” he said by way of apology.

I did not know whether to renew my anger that he had locked me in again, or be delighted that he was trying to make it up to me. My hunger seized me, and I took the tray with alacrity.

“I’m starved. Stay and eat with me.” I tossed my wild hair from my shoulders as Shelley brought my bed jacket around me.

“I can’t. I’m in the middle of my work—“

As he moved close to me, I turned abruptly and kissed him. He was shocked—too shocked to respond to me.

“You must spend the morning with me.”

“I told you that I cannot.”

I pulled the yellow ribbon from my waist and wound it about his neck. Curiously, it immobilized him. “You are bound to me. I won’t let you go.”

Shelley made no attempt to remove the ribbon or to flee from me as I poured tea and served him a cup, then offered him a muffin. He lay down next to me, propped up on one elbow, and watched me. He did look absurd with my yellow sash around his neck, but I was pleased to have made an impact on him.

After we ate, he lay on my bed, looking somewhat disgruntled, and gazed out of the window. I sat above him, stroking his hair. “You may go now if you like. You’re no longer my prisoner.”

“The ribbon,” he growled. “Remove it.”

“But it was only a joke.”

“Take it off me.”

At the furious look in his eyes, I untied the length of satin and pulled it back around my waist. “You have no sense of humor.”

As soon as it was no longer on him, he moved to the door. “You’re turning out to be quite a challenge,” he said rather acidly.

“What did you expect?” I retorted. “For me to be docile and do whatever you say, allow you to control me? Once I had no choice but for you to do as you liked—but things are different now. My will is not yours. Perhaps one day I will master you.”

He moved through my door without another word, and I knew that was the last I would see of him for that day. Still I was not sorry.

I was leisurely about dressing for the day, since Shelley had already brought me enough food to sustain me through the afternoon. I finished my tea and took my time about selecting a dress, then I sat at my vanity table, where I continued the unbound journal I had been keeping for the past few days.

I haven't been able to decide whether or not I want to keep this part. I don't know if I want Shelley to be a unicorn, as I originally planned, or simplify things. I think I will probably simplify things. It does not make sense for the ki-lin to come to earth for a thousand years only to tamper with humans and bring them grief. I think I will preserve the ki-lin identity in A Garden of Virtues, where things are nonlinear.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in