Skip to main content

Coming of age in a saecular autumn, part II

I am reading The Fourth Turning to understand first and foremost where I am in the great scheme of things. I am at the end of Generation X. This is the generation begotten by the Baby Boomers. At the tailing end of Generation X I experience the least identity with and power in my generation, which is the most dysphoric generation of this generational cycle, which is about to end.

This is true for me. I have a sense that I came of age very late. I have a sense that I did not come of age at all, that I was always of age. My generation, according to this book, is extremely dependent on self and does not look to the outside. In general for my generation there have been no grand messages or themes. The unity comes in its unraveling and dysphoria. Like a natural autumn, we are the drying-up, the dying part of the cycle.

According to the book, we will experience a monumental crisis around the year 2025, when the nation will experience death and rebirth, as it did with World War II/Great Depression, Civil War and Revolutionary War. This crisis will force a change of life and completely separate the lifestyle from what it was before. However I am not really interested in all those theories.

Anyway, at the tailing edge of my generation I have begun to feel very interested in the leading edge. The first things that come to my mind are The Breakfast Club and Edward Scissorhands. Gothic culture came about in this time, but there is a general attitude of darkness in the youth culture whether or not members would identify with the gothic culture. One thing that separates the tailing end of Generation X from the leading end of the Millenial Generation is the birth of the Internet. This has had such a profound impact on youth culture and identity, and I wish the book could have covered it, but it was published in 1996, and that was when the Internet first became available in a widespread sense.

I was very much a part of the early Internet. I made my website immediately, became engrossed in the gothic and fantasy cultures online, which revolved around movies like Labyrinth and Legend. I think it is really interesting that I immediately found so much common to myself on the Internet. I feel like it was because my gravitation to the Internet corresponded to others who wanted to express the same thing I did.

So the early Internet was dominated almost exclusively by Generation X. The Millenial generation will have no recollection of it. Their present domination of the Internet has changed its timbre completely. Now the Internet is a social place. It is not the place you go when you are a nerd, it is just the place you go.

I find myself going between two different cultures, one older than myself and one younger than myself. I question my need, but I do not feel like I can express and create artistically until I know about whom and what I am speaking. It may be that I would be much more effective all around if this need had never occurred to me, but there it is, and I must continue to examine it.

Popular posts from this blog

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in