Skip to main content

ecto

Here's my first ecto post... we'll see how this goes. I have been trying to find an offline editor for ages since I got the Mac.

Well I read another interesting thing in The Fourth Turning: apparently what our vision of the future can define our generation. The book goes back over the kinds of futuristic movies that were made at the turn of the century all the way up to now. Sometimes these movies present a marvelous space-age world, and sometimes a dystopic post-apocalyptic wasteland. I think it's fascinating that our vision of the future hundreds of years from now actually reflects the way we feel about our present world. Till I thought about things this way I did not really see the literary value in science fiction. Now it makes science fiction seem really important to me.

The Age of the Confessional Self.

This is our present literary age which began in the early 60's when the first Gen-X'er's were born. I have been reflecting in my reading, that even as there's a terrific tension between Gen X and Baby Boomers, in reality, the two generations have so very much in common. For both, it is about the self, personal feelings and emotions. If you look at the progression from the 60's until now, it's gotten more and more intense. Additionally Gen-X doesn't really rebel against the Baby Boom generation per se. They may instead harbor resentment about the world and the mentalities they were brought into. I'm amazed by how much popular culture and what people are drawn to really precisely reflect these generational and cultural ideals.

This weekend I realized as I was reading Eclipse that perhaps the whole reason this series is so popular is because it so perfectly reflects the present mentality-- the Emo as it were-- the very very end of Generation X, which if you consider the "confessional self" mood that has progressed in our culture since the 1960's-- Emo is the ultimate expression. I was really noticing this when I read the book this weekend because it's not really about vampires or even vampiric-type behavior, i.e. sexual. It's more about, emoting.

Popular posts from this blog

Love oneself

I have found a new barometer by which to judge my actions, or rather, it is an involuntary barometer that is improving me perhaps without my say. For every weak thing I do or begin to do, I ask myself if I would admire myself for it. I have felt so critical of myself lately, so ugly, so awful, and out of it has sprung this quest to improve myself. I don't want to become a slave to style magazines; rather, I could not admire myself for doing that. At the same time, I want to look right and decent and keep from embarrassing myself. I feel like my hygeine is always falling short, just like the housework. Every time I turn around, there's hair where hair shouldn't be, there's stuff under my toenails, my tee shirts are shrinking up and showing my stomach; to say nothing of my wildly oxidizing jewelry, scuffed shoes, &c. I don't understand why I don't see anyone else with these problems! Do they spend all their time at home cleaning their jewelry and ironing their

Studying with Dolls

In the afternoons, I usually take my laptop or a book to the bed and study, and a doll for company. Gertrude is sitting on my bed desk. I got her in 2015 from the Korean doll company Dollmore. She's a "Flocke" sculpt. Willow is sitting with my headphones. She's made by the Chinese company Angel of Dream. I got her in 2013. She's a "Qing" sculpt.

Then, they let Margot out.

Work is going to be really tough for the next month and a half. There is really no margin for error in the goal I have set. I will have to make and run at least one sample, sometimes two, every day. I am going to have to work overtime in the beginning just to leave myself a little room. Long ago I read this story about people who colonized Venus. The storms cleared, the sun shone, and plants grew only one day every hundred years. On the day the sun was to come out some children locked the nerd (I'm sure that would be me) in the closet, and after the day was over, they let her out. That is how I felt yesterday. I could only get a table far in Starbucks, so I didn't know what the weather was doing. I had planned to shop for my spring wardrobe and I did that very well. It took two hours, which is really a lot less than it would take in person, and the things I got were very much to my taste, but I stepped out into warmth, sunshine, and balmy air, and there was only an hour left in